Thursday, January 13, 2011

One More Night.... cause I can't wait forever?

Two Words: Phil Collins

Not only is PC a timeless artist, but he also sings the first "grown-up" song I ever re-wound and re-played on my Walkman.

I recently looked up the lyrics to "One More Night" and wondered why I had loved the song as a child and if the lyrics meant something different to me now. What I realized is that there are many different ways the song lyrics can be interpreted. Here, is my interpretation:

"Please give me one more night, give me just one more night."

 As a child, my Dad traveled at 3 weeks out of the month. In addition, when he was home, he often worked late hours and came home when I was asleep. I think the reason I loved this song so much is because of my constant yearning for my Dad to come home. 

"I know there'll never be a time you'll ever feel the same
And I know it's only words
But if you change your mind you know that I'll be here
And maybe we both can learn."


2010 was the hardest year of my life. I experienced the death of a very dear family friend, learned of my father's numerous marital infidelities, and went to therapy for the first time.

As 2011 begins, I feel strangely happier than I've ever been. I'm not sure what the cause of my newfound happiness is, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with forgiveness of my father and myself. I have forgiven my father for what he has done not only to my mother, but to our family. It's like my father is singing this song to me, asking me for forgiveness, but acknowledging things will never be the same.

In terms of forgiving myself, I have learned to not be so self-deprecating. I have used humor my whole life to make a painful situation seem funny or even make fun of myself. The most important thing I learned when I forgave myself is not to take things personally. Whether it was a bad date, a snarky comment by a friend, or a mean look from my manager, I have finally accepted the fact that most things I used to take personally are in fact, not personal at all. Accepting this was difficult at first, but now it's like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I feel freer and more open to life and love than I've ever been.

I think Phil hit the nail on the head with this song. Thank you Phil for getting rid of my blogger's block.

1 comment:

  1. PC! YESSSSSSSS!
    Thank you for reminding me that it's just not personal. You are a rock for me.

    ReplyDelete