Monday, January 17, 2011

Hello 1999..Did you miss me?

I went to Napa this past weekend to celebrate my friend J's 30th birthday. The best part of the whole trip is that J's boyfriend drove us in his parent's early  90's Chevy suburban that used to have the license plate: "90TSDAD." Since the first car I drove in high school was also a 90s suburban, it brought back memories of high school and being able to control the radio/CD player for the first time.

Bringing it back to 1999-2000 for songs 6-10. Here we go:


6.  "I Want it That Way" -Backstreet Boys (unfortunately, I did not escape the boy band craze and BSB were my favorite.) I even saw them in concert once! (yikes, it's taken me until now to admit that). This song reminds me of late nights with friends in my suburban blasting this song and singing as loud as we could.


7. "Save Tonight" - Eagle Eye Cherry (The first time I heard this song, I was in Rome, Italy. Funny how good songs catch on in Europe first and then make it to the US.)

"Save tonight 
and fight the break of dawn
Come tomorrow
Tomorrow I'll be gone"

This song reminds me of the summer before I went away to college. Every night was spent talking with friends and staying up late, trying to make the most of every day we had until we left home.

8. "Say My Name" - Destiny's Child (this is the first song I recorded as my pager voicemail greeting. Yes, you read that correctly, pager.)
This song reminds me of senior year of high school when we used to page each other before cell phones and text messaging became popular. I also used this song as the voicemail on my very own phone line. Funny how the land line is basically extinct these days.

9. "Ride with Me" - Nelly 

This song reminds me of freshman year of college in the dorms getting ready to go out to a house party or even, gasp, a fraternity party.

Last, but of course not least:

10. "Something like that" - Tim McGraw

This song got me hooked on country music. I loved every song on "A Place in the Sun."  I can thank Cal Poly and my neighbors who roped plastic cattle in their front yard (yes, they were from Oakdale), for introducing me to country music. To this day, I am still a big fan.
 


1 comment:

  1. 986315 0003 15 615387!!! A little old school pager code for you to figure out! :)

    ReplyDelete