Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Favorite Things Meets Legally Blonde...

Today's blog is dedicated LWong for keeping the Favorite Things theme alive.

In her honor, Favorite Things goes Legally Blonde today



Here are my Favorite Things during my time as a law student:


1. Black's Law Dictionary
During law school, I felt like I was learning a foreign language almost every day. Black's law dictionary became my best friend as I had no idea what words like "res ipsa loquitor," "codicil," and "appurtenant" meant.While I have gotten rid of or passed down most of my law school study aides, I still have my Black's Law Dictionary in my bookcase.

2.  Iced Triple Latte from Starbucks, Sugar-Free Red Bull, and Diet Mountain Dew  
*NOTE: Yes, I realize these are 3 things, but as they are all in the caffeinated drink family, I figured as a lawyer, I could create an exception = )


 In law school, my caffeine intake reached a scary level. Before the bar exam, I could survive on iced, triple, non-fat lattes from Starbucks (which was a short stroll across the street from school).

When I started studying for the Bar Exam, in order to survive, I had to increase my daily caffeine intake level substantially. During those two months, I could not survive without Sugar-Free Red Bull and Diet Mountain Dew.
Luckily for me, kicking the Sugar-Free Red Bull and Diet Mountain Dew habit was quite easy after the Bar Exam was over. I still haven't been able to kick my triple, iced non-fat latte addiction yet....... I guess only time will tell........

3.  AIM and GTalk

Before GTalk came out my 3L year in law school, AIM was one of the only ways to make it through law school classes without going crazy due to boredom. AIM served two purposes during law school: (1) you could IM your friends in class if you were called on and didn't know the answer; (2) unfortunately, AIM was mostly used for gossiping about the ridiculous things other people said in class.

Luckily, Gtalk came out 3rd year and my AIM usage has completely ceased since then.
4. The Hut


For all of you who went to undergrad or law school at SCU, you have been to the Hut. B/t the dollar bills tacked to business cards on the ceiling or the always non-functioning girl's bathroom, the Hut was my dive bar of choice during law school as it was walking distance from the law library and from my classes.

My 1L year, we used to have an un-official "bar review" at the Hut every other Thursday. After our VP of the Student Bar Association fell off the stage during a speech at our Benefit for Justice semi-formal, dinner event, these "bar reviews" started happening less and less. Hmmmm.....wonder why?

5.  The Killers "Hot Fuss" CD

 I am one of those people that HAS to study with music on. If I'm studying, I am very particular about what music I listen to. The music cannot have too quick a beat, but it also cannot make me want to take a nap either. The Killers "Hot Fuss" CD came out my 1L year of law school and I fell in love with it. Not only was it the perfect CD to read case law and briefs too, but EVERY song on the CD is amazing.

In honor of the Killers getting me through long nights/days in the law library, here is my favorite Killers song from that album "All These Things I've Done." Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. GREAT post today! I could never handle a TRIPLE latte, I would have a major anxiety attack! haha

    ReplyDelete